Try making a smoked beef jerky in the best electric smoker
Most people assume you need a dehydrator to make jerky. Yes that is one way, but we will show you how to make your own jerky using an electric smoker. The jerky making process is easier then you think, even if it is your first time! Here we will focus not only on the quest of how to make jerky, but we will have the smoked beef done through the best electric smoker for beef jerky. No matter, if you are trying a beef or a deer jerky, some useful tips shared here about making jerky in a smoker would equally benefit for any such recipes that you will try.
What is a Jerky?
Jerky provides the best beef protein in your diet, which could be good to take in between meals and also as a full meal option. It is actually a fatless lean meat, which comes in strips and that is dried for preventing any meat decay. People prefer adding salt for the drying of jerky. But, however, the low sodium beef jerky is highly desirable, while the beef stick type recipe makes one of the most delicious options.
Why people love it?
Apart from excellent tastes, the top reasons for having homemade beef jerky are all related to health. The dry beef jerky is full of energy. Make sure, that bulk beef jerky consumption is not ideal in terms of health. You need to balance it out. The buffalo jerky especially provides a good supply of iron and zinc to your body and that makes it a very healthy snack. The meat is also good as it does not raise the insulin levels of your body. On top of that, you will have the cheap beef jerky prepared in a very convenient manner and gives taste which is second to none.
Precautions in making a Jerky:
Most of the jerky lovers are very considerate about the beef jerky cure and to ensure the strict food safety requirements and precautions. It is mainly because of the probable presence of bacteria where the following precautionary steps would be highly helpful:
- All your utensils, bowls and any other kitchen equipment should be hygienically safe. For this purpose, you need to clean the stuff with water and bleach. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly, before the handling of any raw meat.
- If you want to thaw any frozen meat, then do so in a refrigerator, rather than at room temperature. This would restrict any bacteria growth.
- The marinade of the meat is an important process and you should marinate jerky at room temperature between the range of 36 to 40 degrees F.
- Curing salt is the best option for killing the bacteria growth in jerky and should ideally be applied.
- At the initial steps of dehydrating the meat, you should look to heat the meat at a temperature of 16 degrees F. This would help in killing the deadly bacteria.
Best electric smokers for making a Jerky:
Selecting the best electric smoker recipe is pivotal to cooking the best electric smoker jerky. The following are the best options that you can avail for best jerky meat:
- Masterbuilt Controller Electric Smoker – you can trust this electric smoker to give you the richest and full flavor out of the tried smoked beef jerky It has an ample cooking space over the masterbuilt smoker jerky racks occupying a total of 700 square inches. You can utilize the space for placing your beef jerky sticks in a very organized manner. There is a meat probe as well that comes built into the system in order to check the temperature of the meat, while it cooks. It comes with a locking door mechanism which helps in retaining the smoked taste and flavor well inside the equipment.
- Char-Broil Digital Electric Smoker – This by far is one of the best smokers for beef jerky. It is stuffed with the best jerky rack for smokers so that you could ideally space your meat inside to cook. There is a capacity of 725 s. inches inside with 4 flexible racks. The removable thermometer lets you relax with no worry of worrying about under-cook or over-cook issues. The integrated handle and wheels allow you to move the equipment easily outside the house if required. The construction consists of the insulated double wall for retaining the maximum flavor inside. Trust this to find out that this really is the best smoker for jerky.
Smoking Jerky Recipes
- 2 cup soy sauce
- Steak sauce – 2 Tbsp.
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Cranberry-grape juice – 1 cup
- Teriyaki sauce – 1 cup
- Light brown sugar – 1 cup
- Ground black pepper – To taste
- Hot pepper sauce – 1 Tbsp. (or pinch of cayenne pepper)
- Wood chips – 4 cups
- Flank steak – 2 pounds, cut in slices of ¼ inches thickness against the grain
Steps to prepare:
- Add and mix Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, cranberry grape juice, steak sauce, hot sauce black pepper, brown sugar and teriyaki sauce to get through the first step of your teriyaki beef jerky type recipe.
- Pour the mixture into a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the marinated coated flank steal into the bag and seal it, after squeezing out the air inside the bag.
- Keep it refrigerated for 10 hours.
- Take flank steak out of the refrigerator, remove the meat from the marinade and drain the excess.
- Place the meat over the racks in a single layer of your preferred best smoker for jerky.
- Add 1 cup of wood chips after every 1 hour of cooking.
- Smoke the beef for 6 to 8 hours until you find the meat getting dried and would break if you bent.
Your beef jerky electric smoker recipe is ready, once you see the meat fully dehydrated. You may try the following beef cuts as per your liking and preferences: You are never short of options when the matter is to cook the most delicious beef jerky recipes in an electric smoker. All you need to do is to have the best beef cut, prepare the best brine/ rub and finally an excellent electric smoker to get the best jerky recipe ready, with no preservatives of traditional jerky.
Steps to prepare:
Steps to prepare:
Steps to prepare:
Beef Jerky Rub and Brine:
Best beef meat cuts for making a jerky
Your beef jerky electric smoker recipe is ready, once you see the meat fully dehydrated.
You may try the following beef cuts as per your liking and preferences:
You are never short of options when the matter is to cook the most delicious beef jerky recipes in an electric smoker. All you need to do is to have the best beef cut, prepare the best brine/ rub and finally an excellent electric smoker to get the best jerky recipe ready, with no preservatives of traditional jerky.