Are you a food lover? Do you love smoky foods? Would you like to prefer making your food in a smoker?
We have put this article for you to tell all the secrets for the perfect smoked eye of round.
Many of you would not know what we are talking about and what is the smoked eye of the round?
Let me tell you, the smoked eye of round is a shape for meat that you prefer when you are smoking the meat.
It is some sort of secret which is in hiding for many years but now we will put a light on it and will tell you how to make such tender meat.
There are some major recipes that we would like to share with you. It will help you understand how you can make a smoked eye of round.
We have arranged the secret recipes as well so you can learn how to make Perfect Smoked Eye of Round.
So, let us begin the article by sharing some productive smoked recipes with you.
1. Smoked Eye of Round Roast
This recipe can be made in an electric smoker as well as the normal smoker or the gas smoker. We can say, gas smokers, can be more productive while making these recipes as comparing to electric smokers.
Electric smokers can also be productive but they will take more time than the usual time to make this recipe because it works on a low temperature compared to the gas smoker and can cost you a great amount of electricity as well.
We have tried both of the smokers and both of them works fine with this recipe or any other recipe similar to this. The only major difference between these two is the timing. So, let’s move on to the ingredients of this recipe.
- eye of round roast (it should be at least 4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- First, preheat the smoker to 225 degrees and mix all the ingredients together leaving the eye of round roast
- After that, when you are done with mixing ingredients, rub the roast with olive oil
- After that, rub the mixture of spices that you have made a moment ago, make sure that the roast is covered with the mixture from every side
- Make sure that the smoker vent should be ¾ open at all times when you are smoking the roast
- After that, fill the water can with the beer or the can of beer
- After that, place the wood chips in the drawer, you can put any wood chips do you like as we recommend hickory as they are my favourite
- Then, when you are ready to smoke place the roast in the middle rack of the smoker
- After that, smoke the eye of round to the maximum temperature of 127 degrees
- When you have removed the roast from the smoker, let it roast for 15 minutes before you cut down
- The temperature of the roast will rise to 135 degrees after resting, the meat will be a medium-rare if you cooked it in the current temperature that we have mentioned above
- If you want to make it medium then you should prefer cooking the meat at 140 degrees
- In the end, if you want to cook the meat medium weel then we would suggest you cook the food at 150 degrees and then make thin slices of meat and enjoy!
2. Smoked Beef Chuck Roast Recipe
Do you love briskets? If yes! Then you will love to know that it is one of the pillars of low and slow BBQ. it will take a lot of work to make a perfect brisket and still can be a leftover meal for your midnight snack.
If you are interested in making the best brisket that tackles the Texas brisket that everyone loves, you should go for chuck toast.
This cut is simple and affordable as compare to brisket and have less weight.
If you want to mimic the brisket in a traditional way, chuck roast might help you with that by adding a little bit of spice on to it.
The recipe is an American cuisine that takes 5 minutes in preparation and 6 hours to cook.
It can easily serve 6 to 8 peoples and the best way to serve this amazing dish is with full-bodied red wine.
So, let’s see how you can make a great chuck roast that can be compared to brisket.
- 1 beef chuck roast (approx. 3 pounds)
- ½ tsp Morton’s coarse kosher salt which you have to use per pound of meat
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- First, rub the kosher salt on the chuck roast, if you can, give the salt 1 or 2 hours so it can absorb by the roast, the process of salting in advance is called dry brining
- If you can not understand what ½ tsp kosher salt per pound means then you should just sprinkle the same amount kosher salt that you sprinkle on the steak
- After that, preheat the smoker to 225 degrees, so, it can cook your roast fast
- Then, put wood chips into the wood chips drawer, you can use any type of wood chips, we recommend hickory wood chips as they are my favourite
- Once your smoker is ready and heated up then rub the coarse black pepper on the chuck roast, rub all over the roast and make sure to cover all the sides of the roast
- After that, when the chuck roast is perfectly rubbed by the black pepper, place it in the smoker, make sure to put it in the medium rack
- Make sure to do not close the smoker vent
- After that, cook the chuck roast until the internal temperature does not reach 180 degrees, as soon as it hits 180, take off the roast from the smoker
- Leave it to rest for 15 minutes
- After that, serve the chuck roast to all who are sitting to eat it
3. Newyork Strip Steak Recipe
This recipe is of Newyork strip steak. As many of you do not know what this food recipe is or what it is made from? So, let’s jump to the intro first.
This piece of meat is cut from the beef short loin, it is not quite tender but it has an intense flavor which is more intense than filet mignon.
People love to eat it because of how its bites.
So, enough with the intro let’s jump to the recipe of this delicious food.
- 1 Newyork strip steak
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Garlic powder (to taste)
- Olive oil (to taste)
- Killer hogs steak and chop rub (to taste)
- First, remove the strip steak from the packaging and blot off any access liquid on the steak with a paper towel or a tissue, as you see fit
- After that, put the steak on a larger platter or a surface and rub the steal with olive oil, you can take olive oil as you see fit
- After you are done with olive oil, season the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder, you can sprinkle all the spices as you see fit or it depends on your taste
- If you want to add extra flavour into your steak then add Hogg steak & chop rub, you can add them as you see fit or it depends on your taste
- After all, seasonings are done, put the steak to rest for 1 hour so, it can absorb all the seasonings, it gives a nice juicy taste after cooking
- After that, preheat the smoker to 250 degrees, so, it can adjust to the heat and cook your food fast and perfect
- Then, place wood chunks in the wood chunks drawer, you can use any type of wood chunks but we recommend hickory chunks because they do a good job as compared to other wood chunks
- After that, place the steak into the smoker and let it cook for 2 hours at the same temperature that you have preheated
- When the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees take out the steak and wrap it into an aluminium foil and put it to rest for 1 hour, it will help to absorb all the heat which will, in the end, help the steak in taste
- In the end, serve the Newyork strip steak and enjoy!
There are some secrets that only a few people know regarding the smoked eye of round.
The secrets depend on a few things. We would like to share these things with you.
So, without further due let’s get started.
But before jumping right on to the secrets there are few things that you must know about the smoked eye of round.
If you are looking for a cheap cut right from the beef then it might be difficult for you.
On the other hand, eye round which is also a cut right from the beef is known as the tough cut often prepared poorly.
This cut turns out some times too dry or too tough but it can tackle the Texas brisket easily.
So, if you are looking for a cheap cut comparing to brisket and want a similar taste like Texas brisket, you must go for this cut.
1. Brining Beef
Normally, when we talk about this word bringing beef or curing beef we usually point at brisket to make pastrami or corned beef. If you are thinking at some point that eye round can benefit from this as well then you are surely right.
As for checking, we perform a little experiment with the eye round, we give the eye round an overnight brine with the mixture of Real Salt, peppercorn, bay leaves, onion and garlic.
You are putting the eye around the whole night with this process, it will surely change its colour and yes it did, it changed the colour to pale.
There is no need to worry it will just make it more tender and juicy rather than making it worse.
2. Smoking vs Braising
If you are wrapping after smoking eye of round with a foil you will experience the best of both worlds. You will experience a smoke ring and the juiciest and tenderize flavour that you always wanted with the beef roast.
Additionally, wrapping a foil on the eye round can make the beef tenderize and juicy, it will keep the beef roast moist.
In my experience, if you put butter and beef broth better in the foil to get mixed up while the beef is inside the foil, that will be a great idea because it will work as a flavour booster and will take the roast up a notch.
3. Smoke Rings
Many people try to give their roast a smoke ring but they always fail. This secret is known by a very few and we would like to share it with you so, pay attention to what we are trying to say here.
If you want to achieve a perfect smoke ring then you have to start the cooking of beef roast at a lower temperature around 225 degrees for the first 3 to 4 hours.
After that, when the eye round reaches 160 degrees of its internal temperature, it has taken all the smoke that a beef roast can. After that, you should wrap the beef roast with the foil and increase the temperature.
The temperature increase after wrapping the roast into a foil will be of 300 degrees and will continue until the internal temperature reaches 210 degrees.
When you will take out after the cooking is done and after cutting the beef roast into pieces, you will experience a smoke ring in the middle of every piece.
This might be the key to all the strive and hard work or it might be the failure of all the hard work you made to get this far. If you are hungry by cooking all day then do not hurry at the last moment either because it might make your all hard work go to waste.
When you are cooking the beef roast at the temperature of 300 degrees and take the internal temperature to 210 degrees so, at that time the beef has pushed all the juices and tender away from it but it can all come back.
Furthermore, if you cut the roast at the internal temperature of 210 then it will surely break and will crumble, in simple words the hard work that you put in and waited for 5 to 6 hours to make a delicious meal will all go to waste.
If you want to save your success you have to open the foil nicely from the top and let the beef roast breath so it can take all the juices back in that it pushed out because of the high temperature.
You will have to leave the beef for 30 to 45 minutes so it can cool itself down and generally until the internal temperature hits 150 degrees.
It will surely be hot after 45 minutes but it will get moist and will be ready to eat. You can enjoy this beef roast with some wine or the leftover au jus you have.
As we have discussed all the recipes and the secrets to making the perfect eye of round beef roast.
We have also discussed some amazing FAQS that are questioned by the majority of people so if you have any questions and are similar to these FAQS then you will find easier to read from it rather than asking us and then waiting 2 or 3 days for our reply.
However, if there is any other question regarding this article then you can ask and w will surely answer your question as soon as possible.
You can ask your question by typing it in our comment section. We hope you have understood all the secrets of making the eye of round.