How to cook perfect smoked turkey
Just a mere thought of turkey cooking makes our taste buds go for a lavish treat. So, smoking a turkey in electric smoker literally serves as icing on the cake. Smoked turkey is traditionally known as a festive meal, but the excellent taste and the ample variety in its cooking make it very much a routine meal in our homes as well.
We will particularly emphasize here about some special smoked turkey recipes cooked in an electric smoker and several other dynamics that you must know about in order to have a perfectly smoked turkey on the table, which is to be enjoyed by your family and friends.
How to smoke a turkey?
Smoked turkey recipes cover a vast cooking domain with lots of things involved. We will try to break it in order to give you the best idea as to how each and every part plays a pivotal role in developing the best taste out of the meat.
Turkey is a versatile meat item which you can smoke cook in a number of different ways, as per your preference. Some of the most common types that you could think about sprucing up the turkey meat is given as follows:
- Whole Turkey – This by far gives you the best smoked turkey and is loved especially for the convenience in smoking and the taste it produces.
- Turkey Burger – A great snack to have with your loved ones. This requires you to have ground turkey meat assorted with your preferred seasoning and salad. How long to grill turkey burgers information could be found in the recipes section.
- Turkey Breast – This boneless delight is a perfect family meal, especially loved by kids for the tender meat. You have all the options to enhance the end product with the seasoning and post-cooking treatment of your choice.
- Turkey Salad – Turkey salad requires chopped turkey pieces mixed with your preferred green vegetables, mayonnaise, and seasoning of your choice. You can try 10s of different turkey salads where each would give you a special taste.
Above is just a glimpse of that how you could use smoked turkey meat in a number of different ways. Scroll down to find the real meat of the matter where detailed recipes are discussed, which are worthy enough to be tried right-away at your home.
Preparing the electric smoker for turkey smoking:
Let us first briefly discuss the pre-cook essentials or knowing about the important things to set up your electric smoker to smoke a turkey. Check below for the few important items:
- Smoker Rack/ Grill Plate – The curiosity of how to smoke a turkey could only be quenched if you facilitate your electric smoking cooking gear with all the necessary equipment. The first thing that you would require is to have a slightly spacious rack so that the bird could properly be smoked. You may consider having half racks (semi-circle type) to cook a turkey with ease.
- Stand – Make sure that your preferable smoker stand for turkey comes with an appropriate leg kit in order to place the main unit with ease. Further convenience can be added by choosing a stand with wheels for easy maneuvering of the unit. A 4-leg stand is ideal for Turkey smoking and could be found under multiple top brands.
- Temperature Probe – Smoking turkey or any other meat requires you to have a temperature probe handy. Inserting this into the smoked meat would give an indication, whether the meat is properly cooked or requires more time.
- Wood chips smoke box – This is probably the heart of electric smoker turkey Choose a spacious bowl or a box for smoking wood chips. For wood chips, in general, you may choose oak, maple, hickory, mesquite, apple, and cherry as the most suitable option. The particular preference may differ depending upon the recipe which we will discuss later in the recipes section below.
Smoked Turkey – How to cook a perfect smoked turkey recipe in an electric smoker?
- Use of aluminum foil with turkey smoking is pivotal. It especially helps in keeping the meat’s moisture integrity intact with an even cook. It also makes post-smoking cleaning much easier.
- Cajun rub is ideal for smoked breast turkey. You may prepare it 2 weeks in advance and can store it at room temperature when properly covered.
- Dry brine is most suitable if you are short of enough fridge space for refrigerating Turkey overnight.
- Preheating electric smoker at a desirable temperature is a must thing to ensure. Do not start smoking for any reason if the required temperature is not achieved.
- The best wood chips to be tried with different Turkey recipes include hickory, apple, pecan, and mesquite etc.
- For Turkey smoking, you may consider soaking your preferred wood chips in wine, fruit juice, such as an apple juice, or just plain water.
Smoked Whole Turkey
The Smoked Whole Turkey Recipe
Recipe by: food network.com
The whole of Turkey is probably the easiest and tastiest recipe to smoke. Taste is an easy-sell for smoked Turkey, while easiness is due to the no specific cut issue. You just get the best whole turkey and could smoke it using your preferable brine or dry rub.
- Fine Salt – 1 cup
- Molasses – ¼ cup
- Granulated Sugar – ¼ cup
- Worcestershire Sauce – ¼ cup
- Smashed garlic – 5 cloves
- Bay Leaves – 2, dried
- Black Pepper – freshly cracked
- Bourbon – 2 cups
- Turkey – 12 pounds, whole
- Kosher Salt – To taste
- Canola oil – for coating
- Cherry wood chips – 7 cups, more, if required
Steps to prepare:
- Add and mix fine salt, sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp. pepper, garlic, 2 gallons of water and bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to the boiling point while keeping the pot over high heat. Stir it well and make the sugar and salt dissolve well. Then, remove it from heat and al this prepared brine to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the brine mixture into a bucket and add the whole Turkey into it, submerging it completely, so that the turkey cavity is also filled, in brine. Keep it in the refrigerator, overnight.
- Remove the turkey the following day, drain the leftover brine and pat dry the bird using a clean towel.
- Now rub the oil over the Turkey meat and sprinkle the pepper and salt generously over it.
- Now, preheat your electric smoker at 225 degrees F. Add the soaked wood chips and whole turkey inside the electric smoker.
- Smoke the whole Turkey until the internal temperature of the smoked bird reaches somewhere around 160 to 165 degrees F. The total time that it may take could be anywhere between 5 to 6 hours.
- Once ready, then put the smoked whole Turkey at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, before you slice and serve it.
A Perfect whole smoked turkey recipe
This perfect recipe is one of the best whole turkey recipes which is tried and tested by experts for both conveniences in smoking and taste and passed all checks applied. Smoking a whole turkey demands to be extremely juicy and ideally seasoned.
In order to cook the best smoked turkey, multiple essential ingredients are advised to be added as per your taste to prepare this recipe. However, precise standard measurements of ingredients are given below for convenience.
- Whole Turkey – 1 x 18 pounds, giblets, and neck chopped off
- Kosher salt – 2 cups
- Butter – ½ cup, melted
- Onions – 2 x large pieces, peeled and chopped
- Carrots – 4 x pieces, peeled and chopped
- Stalks celery – 4 x pieces, chopped
- Sprigs fresh thyme – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Dry white wine – 1 cup
Steps to prepare:
- Begin by rubbing the whole turkey thoroughly with the kosher salt, inside and out.
- Have a stock pot handy and put the whole turkey inside and fill it up with cold water.
- Refrigerate it for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours of refrigerating time, take out the turkey from the fridge and thoroughly rinse the bird. Discard the leftover brine mixture.
- Preheat your electric smoker at 350 degrees F.
- baste ½ the melted butter over the bird with a brush.
- Place the whole turkey inside the rack with its breast side facing down.
- Fill the bird’s cavity with ½ carrots, 1 x onion, ½ celery, 1 x sprig thyme and 1 x bay leaf. The remaining vegetables should then be scattered at the roasting pan bottom. Cover it up with white wine.
- Roast it for nearly 4 hours in the oven or until you notice the internal temperature to be at 180 degrees F. make sure that you flip the bird after 2/3 of the cooking time with its breast side up and at the same time, apply the remaining butter over it.
- Wait for 30 minutes after smoking and before you carve it to be served.
Smoked Turkey Breast
The Smoked Turkey Breast
The best-smoked turkey is probably of the best part which is mainly because of its tenderness and exquisite taste. How to smoke a Turkey in a smoker requires you first to allocate some time and then simply follow the steps given below. The recipes promise to retain moist till it reaches your dining table. Smoking a turkey breast in an electric smoker requires you to have the following main ingredients.
- Apple Cider – 1 x 64-ounce bottle
- Kosher Salt – ¾ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ¼ cup
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs – 3 x 4-inches long
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs – 2 x 4-inches
- Fresh Sage – 10 leaves
- Garlic Bulb – 1 piece, cut crosswise into half
- Ice Cubes – 4 cups
- Bone-in Turkey Breast – 1 x 5 ¾ to 6 pounds
- Hickory wood chips – 4 chunks
Steps to prepare:
- Take a large size stockpot, add the top 8 ingredients mentioned above and bring it to the boiling point at medium heat. Stir the mixture occasionally. Remove the stockpot from heat and stir in ice. Allow the mixture to cool and this may take 1 hour or so.
- Now place the turkey into the brine and cool it for 6 to 12 hours, while covered.
- Prepare the electric smoker as per your manufacturer’s instructions. The internal temperature should be 225 degrees F and try to maintain it for 20 odd minutes.
- Now place the hickory wood chips over the coals.
- Remove the Turkey piece from the brine and use a paper towel to pat dry.
- Now, smoke Turkey with an internal temperature of 225 degrees F. This smoking could take 3 ½ to 4 hours. The internal temperature of Turkey at its thickest meat part should be 165 degrees.
- Remove Turkey from the electric smoker and wrap it loosely with aluminum foil.
- Allow it to cool a bit for 15 minutes and your smoked turkey breast recipe electric smoker is all ready to be served, after slicing.
Smoked Turkey Legs
Recipe for Smoked Turkey Legs
Recipe credit: leites
The electric smokers without any doubt have made our lives easier and tastier. You now can make the best-smoked Turkey at home, which will be as good as the ones you could find I any festival or a carnival. This is an excellent recipe of succulent turkey legs, which is infused with an incredible flavor.
- Cold Water – 1.2 liters, 5 cups
- Kosher Salt – 172 grams, ½ cup
- Honey – 85 grams, ¼ cup
- Paprika – 7 grams, 1 Tbsp.
- Onion Powder – 3 grams, ½ Tbsp.
- Garlic Powder – 5 grams, ½ Tbsp.
- Black Pepper – 3 grams, ½ Tbsp.
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 gram, ½ tsp.
- Allspice Berries – 4
- Ice cubes – 1 cup, maybe more if required
- Turkey legs – 4 pieces
Steps to prepare:
- Take a pot of large size and add honey, salt, garlic powder, allspice, cayenne pepper, black pepper and 3 cups of water. Mix them well.
- The mixture should be brought to boiling point over medium heat. Once you see the mixture boiling then add the remaining 2 cups of water. On top of that, put the ice cubes in it as well.
- Stir it well and until you see the ice melting completely. Do it until you see the mixture coming to the normal room temperature. Add in more ice to the mixture, if you feel the need.
- Now place the Turkey legs inside a resealable plastic bag of gallon size. You should add just a couple of legs per bag and so on.
- The prepared brine above should also be evenly divided between all the bags
- Seal all the bags well and stash all of them into the refrigerator in order to brine them well overnight.
- The following day, drain out all the leftover brine and go for the rinsing of the Turkey legs and make them pat dry.
- At this point in time, you should then prepare your electric oven, while preheating it. The preheat target temperature should be in the range of 245 to 260 degrees F.
- You may use apple wood chips here in the electric smoker which is highly suitable for all Turkey recipes.
- Now, place all the legs inside the electric smoker and start smoking them. The temperature of the electric smoker should be maintained between 245 to 26 degrees F. all through the smoking process.
- Continue cooking until you see the internal temperature of the electric smoker to reach at 165 degrees F. This may take up to 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours.
The Smoked Turkey Legs recipe
Smoking cooking in an electric smoker never gets better when you have the Turkey legs to smoke. They provide the excellent taste when coupled with the best wood chips and the best electric smoker to cook.
- Turkey Legs – 6
- Worcestershire Sauce – 3 x Tbsp.
- Vegetable Oil – 1 + 1 x Tbsp.
- Preferred BBQ sauce
- Chipotle Seasoning – ¼ cup
- Ground Red Chili/ Paprika – 1 to 2 Tbsp., mild dried
- Packed Brown Sugar – 1 x Tbsp.
- White Vinegar – 1 cup
Steps to prepare:
- Prior to smoking, loosen the Turkey legs skin with the use of your fingers pushing under it.
- Mix the oil and Worcestershire sauce.
- Rub the sauce on the Turkey legs using your fingers
- Sprinkle the chipotle seasoning, chili/ paprika and the brown sugar over the skin of the legs and rub it gently.
- Wrap the legs into a plastic bag and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the smoker to 220 degrees F.
- Take the legs out of the refrigerator and allow it to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Warm the white vinegar, 1 x Tbsp. BQ sauce and 1 x Tbsp. vegetable oil over low heat.
- Put the Turkey legs into the preheated electric smoker.
- Cook un
til you see the Turkey legs getting tender and juice should run clear. This may take 3 ½ to 4 hours.
- Mop the legs with the warmed mixture as in step 8 above at ¾ hour intervals in a pit or just as suitable as per your particular electric smoker. The internal temperature of the cooked legs should be at 165 degrees F.
- Serve the Turkey legs with the BBQ sauce.
Smoked Turkey Burger recipe
Smoked Stuffed Turkey Burger
This is a mouth-watering recipe with the easy procedure, including step-by-step preparation along with the vital information about how long to grill turkey burgers.
- Ground Turkey – 2 pounds, fresh
- Green Onions – 6, thinly sliced
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
- BBQ Sauce – ½ cup
- Ground Oregano – 1 tsp.
- Paprika – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp.
- Cayenne Pepper – ¼ tsp.
- Apple/ Pecan Flavor Bisquettes
Steps to prepare:
- Take a bowl, add ground Turkey and all other ingredients. Use your hands to mix them well until you notice the breadcrumbs and spices getting thoroughly mixed.
- The Turkey mixture should then be shaped for 4 to 5 burgers.
- Place the burgers carefully in the electric smoker rack. To ensure that the burgers are properly spaced and not touching each other.
- Start the electric smoker and ensure the temperature of 250 degrees F. Pecan or Applewood chips could be added as per your preference.
- Smoker should run for 2 ½ hours or until you notice the internal temperature of the meat to be at 165 degrees F.
- Get a burger bun and serve accordingly with the preferred toppings and other sides of your choice.
Asiago Smoked Turkey Burger
Burgers at home make the best deal for the entire family. They are relatively quick to make and something you do not regularly find outside in various fast foods. Apart from the festivities and other parties, you can have it easy during your regular meals. This burger recipe could be made as tasteful as you want by adding various sauces and salads of your choice and preferences. Let’s see that how it goes.
- Ground Turkey – 1 pound
- Stalk Celery – 1, diced
- Onions – ¼ cup, diced
- Asiago cheese – ¼ cup, shredded
- Peachwood chips
Steps to prepare:
- The celery should be diced and should be added into the food processor along with the onions. You should process this mixture for about 10 seconds, which will dice them much smaller, as required by the recipe.
- Take a mixing bowl and add onions, Asiago cheese, celery and the ground Turkey in it and mix them well.
- Now make 4 x patties out of the mixture you obtained from step 2 above.
- Then, preheat your electric smoker and bring the internal temperature of the equipment to 250 degrees F. Add peach wood chips inside the electric smoker. Here, you have the liberty of adding any other wood chips of your choice, if you have a particular liking or a pleasant experience with some other suitable wood chips before. However, the peach wood chips make the best combination with Turkey burgers and for this reason, it is tried here.
- Now place the burgers inside your electric smoker. Make sure that the patties are well separated from each other and should not touch each other. Moreover, you need to ascertain that the internal temperature of the electric smoker is maintained at 250 degrees until they are done.
- In about 1 hour time or less, you may check the internal temperature of the Turkey patties. If the internal temperature of the patties is around 155 to 160 degrees F., then this means your Turkey burger patty is ready.
- You can take 4 burger buns and add one Turkey patty in each. You may add any sauce of your choice along with the green salads that you love. BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, cucumber, and iceberg are considered standard burger items and they would also be enhancing the taste here. Adding in more stuff as per your liking s entirely your preference.
Most Popular Turkey Rubs and Brine Essentials for Cooking in Electric Smoker:
Turkey rubs and brines are actually the backbone of Turkey and other meat-related recipes, especially when you are cooking them in an electric smoker. Some of them do take time in preparing or having it refrigerated overnight. However, it is always worth the wait.
Out of many, the following are top Turkey rubs and brines that you can trust for an electric smoker cooking:
- Cajun Rub – This smoked turkey rub is ideal for any breast recipe type that you wish to try. The major ingredients include paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic flakes, onion flakes, cayenne, and
- Cajun Brine – This smoked Turkey brine would require a saucepan put over medium heat. The ingredients required would be 3 Tbsp. of Cajun rub from above, along with water and salt. The mixture should be brought to boiling point and stir well to dissolve the salt in the mixture. Allow it to cool at room temperature and then shift it to a nonreactive container.
- For Turkey breast recipe, rinse first the Turkey breast halves and add it to the brine along with good enough water to cover the breast. Refrigerate it while covering it properly for 8 to 24 hours.
- Spiced Brine – The ingredients of this brine recipe includes fennel seeds, peppercorns, fresh ginger
Smoked Turkey Salad
Smoked Kansas City Turkey Salad
By genius kitchen
The best you can make out of the leftover smoked Turkey meat is to make this delish salad. You have all the liberty to add seasoning and sauce of your choice. Just for your convenience and for guaranteed delicious taste, the following recipe would suit anybody’s taste buds:
- Smoked Turkey – 2 1/4, bite-size pieces
- Red Onion – 1 cup, chopped
- Hard-boiled eggs – 4, chopped
- Mayonnaise – 2 cups
- Dijon mustard – 2 Tbsp.
- Celery salt – 1 tsp.
- Jalapeno pepper – 1, diced
- White pepper – 1 tsp.
- Black pepper – 1 tsp.
- Ground cumin – 1 tsp.
Steps to prepare:
- Take a bowl and add turkey pieces, eggs, and
- Mix all the above ingredients well.
- Add turkey mix into mayo mix and blend them well.
- Refrigerate it and serve it cold.
Smoked Turkey Salad, A Quick Recipe
This is the quick-fix meal that you can frequently enjoy at home. You can use your smoked Turkey meat leftover to prepare this amazing recipe. You may also best enjoy it by simply spreading it over crackers or could make a sandwich. Everything just works perfectly with this smoked turkey salad recipe.
- Smoked Turkey Meat – ¾ pound
- Celery – 2 stalks
- Onions – 2 pieces, green
- Red bell pepper – ½ piece
- Mayonnaise – 3 Tbsp.
- Dijon mustard – 2 Tbsp.
- Cider Vinegar – 1 Tbsp.
- White Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Salt – ¼ tsp.
Steps to prepare:
- Take a bowl and add smoked turkey meat, green onions, red bell pepper and celery into a blender or maybe a food processor, whichever is available.
- Use the preferred/ available equipment to chop the mixture very finely.
- Transfer all the chopped smoked Turkey mixture into a bowl of medium size. Add mayonnaise into it and also add the Dijon mustard, salt, sugar, and cider vinegar into it.
- Cover this mixture well and refrigerate it for at least 8 hours, before serving it.
Tips and tricks for getting the best taste and texture in smoked turkey recipes
You may have all the best equipment and knowledge to get the required smoked turkey out of an electric smoker. But, the best taste would be developed following the below-given tips, which have a direct or sometimes indirect impact on the outcome:
- Do not go by the book when the matter is to check, whether Turkey is properly cooked or not. You should use the meat temperature gauge to check the exact temperature and only take it out to be served if the desired temperature according to the meat cut is achieved.
- The time taken for smoking a whole Turkey depends upon the weight and cut of the bird. Make sure that you adjust your smoke timings accordingly. Generally, Turkey meat needs to be smoked for 30 to 40 minutes per pound of weight. Therefore, the electric smoker times must be carefully noted and are dependent upon the particular brand of the electric smoker as well.
- Make sure that for all electric smoker recipes, you allow proper space with no touching or overlapping of meat when different small pieces are placed in the electric smoker to cook. This is especially true for Turkey burgers and Turkey legs etc.
- Think well ahead of time when you are going for smoked Turkey, especially which requires brining. It is because brining almost always require you to refrigerate the brined Turkey meat for at least 8 hours to overnight.
- When it comes to smoking whole Turkey then size does matter big time. Therefore, always buy a whole Turkey that is able to fit inside your electric smoker.
Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker:
If it is for Thanksgiving or any other reason, this mouthwatering Turkey breast recipe not only fits the bill but also makes you a repeat client of this smoked dish. The masterbuilt smoker times are quite efficient when compared with many other brands and this is also one of the unique selling points of the equipment as well.
The above is the reason that the masterbuilt electric smoker recipes are all amongst the best ones. It is fairly easy to make and the recipe provided below comes with specific details related to the Masterbuilt electric smoker.
Moreover, you may access the web to find the masterbuilt smoker cooking chart to get supplementary information about further details about this particular electric smoker and any other recipe you wish to try in the electric smoker.
- Turkey Breast – 1 piece, 6 – 7 pounds
- Creole Marinade – 6 – 7 ounces, buttery of any preferable brand
- Seasoning – ½ cup, any of your choice
- Marinade injection – 1
Steps to prepare:
- For your masterbuilt smoked turkey, preheat the electric smoker at 225 degrees
- In the meantime, wash the bird very well and pat dry it using a towel.
- Get hold of the marinade injection and inject the 6 to 7 ounces of the creole injection marinade into the Turkey breast. You should go by 1 ounce at a time and inject it over different spots of the Turkey breast in order to develop consistent taste later on, after smoking.
- The masterbuilt smoked turkey breast would take its next visual shape by putting it inside the electric smoker over its middle rack.
- Smoking a turkey in a masterbuilt electric smoker would take anywhere between 4 ½ to 5 hours to get ready. The time taken is equivalent to ¾ hours for every pound of the Turkey breast. As another measure to assure cooking completion, the internal temperature of the Turkey breast should be at 165 degrees F.
- Put the smoked Turkey breast outside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Serve it with any sauce of your choice.
Smoked Turkey Recipe for Traeger smoker:
Brined Smoked Turkey Recipe:
You have so many options to have this tasty Turkey recipe to be tried with a number of different sauces, all giving a new taste to the same meat. The Traeger smoked turkey is perfect for Thanksgiving and could also be tried on other occasions and friends and family gatherings as well.
- Thawed Turkey – 1 x 12 to 16 pounds, frozen or fresh with all giblets removed
- Water – 3 gallons
- Traeger BBQ rub – 1 cup
- Garlic – 1 ½ Tbsp., minced
- Worcestershire sauce – ½ cup
- Canola oil – 2 Tbsp.
Steps to prepare:
- First and foremost, spare enough time and this is a brined recipe which requires you to refrigerate it that way overnight.
- Fully ensure that all the giblets are removed and the meat is fully thawed.
- Take a bucket and fill it with 3 gallons of water. Ensure that the bucket is non-metallic.
- Add the Traeger BBQ rub and completely mix it, until the rub gets completely dissolved.
- Add Sugar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic into it.
- Place the bird in a bucket with is breast facing down right into the brine. Ensure that the bird is totally submerged within the liquid.
- Cover up the bucket completely and place it within your refrigerator, overnight.
- Remove Turkey from the bucket and make I pat dry using a towel. Drain the leftover brine from the bucket.
- Now, rub the bird with canola oil over the entire skin of the bird.
- Now place the Turkey meat with its breast facing up and into the aluminum roasting container of the disposable
- Set your electric smoker to 350 degrees F.
- Smoke the meat for 3 ½ to 4 hours. Also, ensure that the cooked meat should have an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Remove the meat from the Traeger smoker and allow it to cool for a ¼
- Once done, then the Turkey meat could be sliced and served.
Smoked Turkey Recipe for Brinkmann:
Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe in Brinkmann Electric Smoker:
This is taken from one of the most authentic, reliable and simply the best cookbook for an electric smoker. Brinkmann itself is a renowned brand and you get a lot of options to smoke Turkey or any other meat as per your liking. Let’s see that how this best smoked Turkey recipe would get when it is smoked inside the Brinkmann electric smoker.
- Cold water – 1 gallon
- Kosher salt – ¼ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Garlic – 1 x head, crushed and peeled cloves
- Rosemary – 4 x sprigs
- Thyme – 10 sprigs
- Onion – 1 x large piece, roughly chopped
- Lemon – 2 pieces, sliced
- Peppercorns – 2 x tsp.
- Parsley – handful
- Turkey breast – 1 x 5 pounds, skin-on boneless
Steps to prepare:
- Take a bowl and add salt, sugar, water, garlic, lemon, onion, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and You may also use a gallon bag instead of a bowl, if preferred or available. Mix them well.
- Put your turkey breast meat in the brine and keep it refrigerated for 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat the electric smoker of Brinkmann brand this time around 275 to 30 degrees F. For the Brinkmann, the electric smoker over a windless day usually go to 225 degrees F, maximum. But, more the better. You may also try a turkey stand for smoker here, if desirable.
- Once the electric smoker reaches the acceptable internal temperature then put your brined turkey inside the electric smoker preferably on the central part of the upper rack.
- You should also insert inside the electric smoker, a remote thermometer probe at one side of the Turkey breast meat.
- Now carefully put back the lid into position, while taking care of the probe lead, not getting damaged.
- Continue to smoke the Turkey breast inside the Brinkmann electric smoker until you see the internal temperature of the breast to be at 165 degrees F. This is the point when Turkey is safely done in an electric smoker. However, you will see the internal temperature continue to rise even after you remove the Turkey breast from the electric smoker. This is absolutely normal and expected.
- After removing it from the electric smoker, have it wrapped inside an aluminum foil.
- Allow it to rest at room temperature for some 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once done, then you can serve this delicious Turkey breast recipe, after sliding it according to your preference.
How long to smoke a 12 turkey in a Masterbuilt electric smoker?
Make sure to smoke a turkey at 225-275 F degree for 8-12 hours. If you are smoking a whole turkey at 300F you may need 4-6 hours. Check the temperature by using the meat thermometer placing the probe in the thickest part of lower thigh of turkey that should be around 180 F degrees. for detailed account of required times and temperature read more here.
How to determine the time and temperature to smoke a turkey in an electric smoker?
A turkey needs approx 30-45 minutes per pound to get smoke-cooked in an electric smoker. the time and temperature settings may vary depending on the type of smoker you use, the temperature outside, the size and weight of your turkey and marination time and ingredients.
Should we brine a turkey before smoking? why?
W can get moist, tasty, outer crispy layer, that is juicy smoked turkey by using the brine turkey recipe. If you are looking for a juicy smoked turkey taste, your should not forget to brine it first.
As we can see above that, using turkey meat is always a very versatile poultry item that you can smoke in a number of different ways. Some of the diversity of this meat and the particular smoked cooking in a range of different cuts that you could try include the likes of legs, breast, burger and even as a whole chicken as well.
You may also have it in the salad with mayonnaise and any other sauce and/ or seasoning of your choice.
Lastly, there are many popular brands where there differential output and performance may get the output a little bit different from each other so you may choose or use any kind of electric smoker, pellet smoker, charcoal or gas smoker.
Make sure you follow the recipe and you will surely get the taste and the aroma you have been looking for.
Enjoy the best turkey meal you’ve ever had, even if this is your first time trying it out!